Monday, November 30, 2009

New York Times - Nov. 30, 2009

Today's New York Times featured stories in about as many different varieties as one could fit on the front page. I read a story about Obama needing to supply more troops overseas in order to bring the ones that are currently over there home in a plan to withdraw completely from the war in thr Middle East. I read a story about a man who discovered the peat land in Indonesia was giving off a great amount of harmful gases to the environment, and wants to help improve the water quality in the Kampar Peninsula. I read a story about a man who is feared by high school athletic departments because of his ambitious attitude toward equality for girls athletics. I read a story about the sales of alligator skin diminishing this year after a dismal year last year. My point is that there isn't a real hard news story in here, other than the Obama piece. Nothing really jumps out at the reader when they scan the front page for any big events or stories they need to read. Maybe it's just because there wasn't anything really newsworthy for today's issue, but I feel that editors and publishers could have put together a few more interesting story ideas. Not that many people care about extremely expensive alligator skin except...people who can actually afford extremely expensive alligator skin. I thought it was a poor effort to try and appeal to the majority of the American public. I think that it would be better if they tried to focus the lead story on American issues, not foreign issue like tree harvesters in Indonesia. I know I'm not qualified to make that call, but that's what I would do if I had a say in what was printed in the Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment