Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New York Times - Nov. 17, 2009

I didn't find too many stories today on the front page that I found intensely interesting like I normally do. I could write about how the G.M. company is on the rebound after going bankrupt over the summer, but they first need to pay back the government after they loaned the company a great sum of money to aid their financial situation. But that's the news, and my job as a blogger isn't to write the news again, it's to react to the news. I found there wasn't a whole lot I could "react" to on the front page.

But one thing I found that I personally could write a 5000-word essay on was on the front page of sports (shocker). But the story I want to wrote about doesn't involve a game story, it involves the future of not just one, but MANY Division I athletic programs in New York.

Due to the lack of funding, lack of success and negative press coverage of several Division I athletic programs in the SUNY college system, the state of New York is considering dropping ALL D-I athletic programs in order to meet a more affordable budget. This could be devastating for one of the "second-tier" state in terms of population size. Some programs have had a great deal of success in the past, like Binghamton University's 2008-'09 men's basketball team, which made it to the NCAA March Madness tournament where they played national powerhouse Duke University. They lost, but it was only positive press coverage for the team. However, after releasing six of their top players this past fall for violation of team and federal laws, the program is only experiencing negative media coverage, and it doesn't appear to be getting any better for the program.

Nothing has been decided on officially yet, but it is under serious consideration to drop all D-I athletic programs from SUNY colleges all throughout New York. It's an unbelievable story, and I will certainly be keeping my eye on it as the news continues to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment