Wednesday, November 4, 2009

New York Times - Nov. 4, 2009

I thought the most interesting story on the front of the New York Times was the profile/feature piece on the sniffing dogs the police forces use for crimes. It turns out they are used more often than people may think, and have actually put people in jail for long periods of time. They have the keen ability to smell the most intricate details on just about anything, which leads investigators to find what they are looking for, whether that be a person, a body, or more evidence. I think it's incredible that these animals have the ability to do that, and I think it's smart on our part to train them to aid our police and investigative forces. Interesting story, interesting topic.

Another story (well, line actually) that caught my eye was in the Iraq bomb story, which was about how the use of a "nuclear" detector was used at police checkpoints to decipher whether or not some material is radioactive, or may be bomb-material. One man went as far as to say the device, that resembles a wand, was "on the same principles as a Ouija board." Well, to me that means instant failure. I don't believe in Ouija boards in any way, and nor should I. They are based on the fluctuation and involuntary movements in peoples muscles, or the one wise-guy who pushed the "magic eye" towards whatever he wants to see appear. Therefore, if this wand is anything like a Ouija board, I say don't believe anything it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment