Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New York Times - Sept. 22, 2009

What really jumped out at me in today's issue was that at least three of the top stories had to do with the White House and governmental affairs. Usually that doesn't interest me too much, as I'm not that big on politics. So taht's why it was a relief when I read the story on the far left above the fold. It was a story about coal mining plants and power plants in West Virginia that are trying out a sequestration plan in order to get rid of excess carbon dioxide. Sequestration is a process that injects the carbon dioxide, in which we usually release into the air, into the earth through designated wells. Experts believe that the ground can hold the carbon dioxide for millemiums, but skeptics say that it could damage our water supply that comes from the earth, and quite possibly cause earthquakes. I thought it was interesting because my dad used to work at coal mines all around New England, so I know a little about the chemical makeup that these plants need to consider. It seems like an interesting process to me, so I'll be interested to read about how the experimental phases go. I hope the Times does a follow-up story in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment